The government provided additional funding for the academic year 2017-18 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding, provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but have the freedom to choose how they do this. In 2017-18 Shobdon School was allocated £16,680.
After considering the impact from spending in previous years and through discussions with staff and the Headteacher, we are using this allocation to achieve a number of sustainable objectives:
- To continue to develop and enhance the teaching of high-quality PE across the curriculum in all classes by ensuring appropriate CPD is in place. Staff will have the opportunity to work alongside highly qualified coaches to heighten their own knowledge and attend specialised courses to increase staff confidence to deliver high quality PE lessons.
- To offer a wider range of sporting opportunities outside of school hours that caters for a wider pupil population.
- Purchase necessary equipment in order to develop the delivery of sport and PE further. This will include playtime equipment to ensure that children have the opportunity to be active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- To increase participation of inter-school competition and competitive sport.
- To develop the leadership in PE to enable a sustainable quality provision.
How the impact will be measured:
Shobdon School will use a number of different methods in order to evaluate the impact of the sport funding:
- Staff will have a greater confidence in planning and delivering high-quality PE. This will come from observations of pupils and staff during PE lessons. Sports coordinator will have allocated time in staff meetings to liaise with staff.
- Pupil Voice – Feedback from pupils will feature as part of the impact measured showing increased participation and enjoyment in PE lessons and after school clubs. This will come from club registers and feedback from specialist coaches, teachers and children. Regular meetings with the School Sports Council will allow children to express their views.
- Auditing resources will ensure that all equipment is safe, of good quality, varied and fit for purpose and used effectively and safely by all pupils.
Shobdon Primary School- Sports P.E. Premium 2016 – 2017
In 2016-2017 the school received £8,370 income to spend on school PE and Sport. The funding was used in a variety of ways to improve and develop teaching and learning of PE across the whole school. We have encouraged children to lead healthy lifestyles, enjoy PE and Sport and experience high quality teaching. They have been encouraged to take part in competition and aim for sporting excellence. We aim for the funding to have a lasting impact on the provision of PE and sport within our school.
Click on the link below to find out more: